Say it like you mean it

News of a KidnappingFoundation

Book: Prelude to Foundation, Isaac Asimov
Start Date: 08/03
End Date: 08/15

I read the Foundation series when I was in junior high. I was going through my sci-fi phase at the time and I really got into the books. For a while now I’ve been wanting to reread the series but I was afraid that it wouldn’t be as good as I remembered. I hate when that happens. But I’m chancing it now. The desire to reread the books hit me sometime last year and watching I, Robot just strengthened it. Why, I don’t really know. I’m pretty sure there are no naked Will Smiths in the books.

Prelude to Foundation was written in 1988, after I went through my sci-fi phase, so I haven’t read it. I think this might turn out to be a good thing. We’ll see…

Posted on 08/03 at 04:37 PM

Comments

I just read the entire Foundation series for the first time about 2 years ago.  I started with I, Robot and went all the way through the end. They were great.  Although Foundation’s Edge and Foundation & Earth, two later written sequels, were pretty awful.  But the two very last books, Prelude to Foundation and Forward the Foundation, were actually not bad (they were both prequels that chronicle the life of Hari Seldon).  The “bridge” novel between the I, Robot books and the Foundation books, Robots and Empire, was outstanding.

Posted by Greg  on  08/03  at  06:43 PM

Now I want to add these to the list of things to read. So many books, so little time.

Posted by anna  on  08/03  at  10:45 PM

prefude to foundation came with an author’s note in which asimov explains the chronology of the books, fourteen in all. i’m pretty sure i read them all (save the prequels) but i dont believe i read them in the order he intended. i may just have to rethink starting with prelude. ick. ditto on the so many books, so little time.

Posted by patricia  on  08/03  at  10:57 PM

What’s wrong with starting with the prelude?

Posted by Greg  on  08/04  at  11:43 AM

there’s nothing wrong with starting with Prelude, but all of the stories tie together and reading them in the correct order appeals to me.

Posted by patricia  on  08/04  at  12:00 PM

But the Prelude IS the start of the story…unless you mean to go back to the Robot books first.  And, actually, there’s a trilogy in the same universe that predates even those (which I haven’t read).

Posted by Greg  on  08/04  at  03:52 PM

Well, yes. I know Prelude is the beginning of the Foundation series, but in the author’s note Asimov writes that the Robot and Foundation books together offer a “history of the future” and that “they were not written in the order in which (perhaps) they should be read.”
On his list, Prelude sits in the number 9 spot. I know some of the earlier books are loosely tied together, but I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just read them in the order the author recommends. Just to make my life more difficult.

oh man, don’t throw new books into the mix. i’m having enough trouble with these! smile

Although, I think I’ve read Nemesis. That sounds vaguely familiar. You see why keeping track of the books is so important! Stupid memory.

Posted by patricia  on  08/04  at  09:43 PM